The Essendon Football Club will ‘Stand Up for Equality’ during their Round 8 clash with North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.
The Bombers’ campaign supports social inclusion for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) community and will provide a safe environment for all supporters.
‘Stand Up for Equality’ relates to International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT day) on May 17 – the day homosexuality was removed from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1990.
IDAHOT day was conceived in 2004 with the concept celebrating its first IDAHOT day on 17 May 2005.
The Bombers will dedicate several match day initiatives to support the ‘Stand Up for Equality’ campaign, including;
- AFL 9’s game between the Purple Bombers and Blue Roos
- ‘Stand Up for Equality’ education video on the big screen
- Interview with Purple Bombers President Jason Tuazon-McCheyne on the big screen
- ‘Stand Up for Equality’ written on the Bombers’ game day banner
- Purple Bombers guard of honour
For more information head to the Essendon Football Club website.