||Research and Analysis Manager
||General Manager of Player Relations
|Roles Reporting To This:
||The Research and Analysis Manager is principally responsible for undertaking research projects in line with the AFL Players’ Strategic Plan involving interpretation of data, formulating reports and making recommendations based upon the findings. The Research and Analysis Manager works with the AFL Players staff, particularly the management team, to understand, define and document the evidence base in support of the PA’s overarching business objectives. The Research and Analysis Manager applies qualitative and quantitative techniques to interpret the data and produce substantiated reports and recommendations. The Research and Analysis Manager frequently presents research findings and recommendations to management.
|Knowledge / Experience
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years within the custom Market Research industry
- 1 to 3 years of industry/sector experience
- Strong analytic and critical thinking skills
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation communication abilities
- Proven analytical and reporting skills
- Proficient in Financial Modelling
- Expertise with Excel, PowerPoint, and SPSS/Stata/SAS
- Bachelors or advanced degree in business, mathematics, engineering or the sciences
- Experience in economic analysis
- Experience in the sporting industry
- Team player
- High level of enthusiasm & motivation
- Highly developed communication skills –verbal and written
- Developed interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Strong organisational skills, including time management & priority setting
- Strong decision making skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential
|AFLPA CEO and management team, staff members and industry stakeholders, including Members and Agents
|The key challenges of this role are:
- Communicating with CEO, management and staff to understand the business objectives and determining how this role can assist in achieving these
- Formulating analysis plans and acquiring CEO and management sign-off
- Designing or assisting in the development of questionnaires and research projects to ensure the necessary data is captured and evidence base developed in support of business objectives
- Conducting in-depth data analysis using traditional and advanced methods
- Authoring reports outlining analysis and containing actionable recommendations
- Making presentations, answering questions and instilling confidence based on analysis
- Support to CEO and other staff
|Key Result Areas
|Communicating with CEO, management and staff to understand the business objectives and determine how this role can assist in achieving these
- Clearly communicate with CEO, management and other staff to understand strategic objectives of the AFLPA
- Developing a sophisticated knowledge of evidence base needed in support of proposals to achieve strategic objectives
- Knowledge of AFL industry economics and labour market
- Knowledge of AFLPA strategic objectives and key challenges
- Professional relationships with CEO and other staff
|Formulating analysis plans and acquiring CEO and management sign-off
- Working closely with CEO and other staff, particularly management, to formulate research and analysis plans to achieve strategic objectives of the AFLPA
- Developing and implementing analysis plans following sign off from CEO and/or management to build evidence base in support of proposals to achieve strategic objectives of the AFLPA
- Strength of communication and professionalism of dealings with AFLPA CEO, management and staff
- Quality of research and analysis plans
- Effectiveness of research and analysis plans based on strategic purpose
Undertaking key research projects in support of AFLPA positions
- Undertaking key research and analysis projects on a range of matters, particularly in preparation for collective bargaining, including but not limited in relation to the following areas:
- AFL industry economics and player payments
- Collective bargaining
- AFL labour market restraints and forces
- Delivering a truly first class sporting workplace
- Player development
- Commercial activities of the AFLPA and AFL players
- Employment conditions and standards of AFL players
- OH&S and medical standards
- Laws of the Game
- Tribunal system
- Game development
- Player injuries and compensation
- Player wellbeing
- Off field conduct
- Past player support
- Completion of research projects on time and in a professional manner
- Presentation and impact of research and analysis projects
|General industry research and analysis tasks at the direction of CEO and management
- Develop statistical data resources to assist in proactive and targeted research, building evidence base in support of AFLPA positions and identifying industry trends
- Use computer databases, electronic spreadsheets, desktop publishing, word processing, and statistical applications to manipulate, analyse, and present data.
- Study current literature on research methodology and industry issues, and make appropriate recommendations for improvements in AFLPA analysis practices.
- Work with CEO and management to streamline processes related to data collection and data retrieval.
- Respond to ad hoc requests from the CEO and management team for meetings and briefings.
- Interact and communicate with AFLPA employees and respond to requests for various information and statistical reports.
- Provide information and analysis findings in a format that allows for its use by all appropriate stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of a variety of reports as needed.
- Research and analyse complex industry data; identify and interpret patterns and trends; and forecast trends, including pertaining to the economics of the AFL in preparation for and during collective bargaining.
- Make written and oral presentations, using charts and graphs, to communicate analysis and key findings in a format that allows for its use by all appropriate stakeholders.
- Attend various meetings of AFLPA employees and industry stakeholders in order to share research and analysis information and to develop new tools.
- Compile information, analyse findings, make interpretations, and produce reports based on data; use these findings to identify information gaps and future collection requirements.
- Perform a variety of strategic and administrative duties relating to the systematic process of collecting, categorising, analysing, and disseminating timely, accurate, and useful information.
- Completion of tasks on time and in a professional manner
- Systems in place and quality of analysis, reporting and presentations
|AFL Players’ Association Values
||In the beginning a group of players stood up for every player. We uphold this transition by banding together to prove that support and mateship exists beyond club colours. The shared experience of being men first and players second means that we are all united and on the same team.
||We ignite change in each other’s lives and in our industry. We are accountable, challenging, and forward thinking.
||We support each other because by standing together we can achieve fair conditions outcomes, and development opportunities for all players.
||We respect ourselves, each other, the game and the communities we live in. We promote growth in one another and our profession.