Letter to my younger self is back this year, as we honour the 2018 draft class. In the latest edition, former Docker Lee Spurr has some words of wisdom for his younger self, including maximising his off-field exploits while still in the game.
I know that whatever I tell you to do you’re not going to listen. You’re going to want to do it your way and make your own mistakes, GOOD!
So I’m going to give you some things to refer to throughout your journey of life and football and make your own choices.
- You’re never wrong to do the right thing — you will need to refer to this a lot, it’s as old as time … liked vs. respected — choose early what you want and live by it.
- Get you’re off-field study done ASAP and get working on your days off — trust me everyday is a day closer to the job you’re going to do for the rest of your life.
- Don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today! Both in life and in football — you will be amazed what you can achieve — the hardest thing is starting.
- Burn it to earn it — you have to sacrifice to get what you want.
- Don’t get caught in the trap of comparing yourself to others — only measure yourself against yourself and see how far you can go.
Good luck mate.
P.S. In 2010, buy some Bitcoins and hold 😉