The Madden Medal, presented by The Diamond Guys, is named after brothers Simon and Justin Madden, and is awarded annually to the retiring player who has best demonstrated on-field excellence, personal development and growth, as well as community spirit over the course of their playing career. The winner will be announced at the AFL Players’ Association Season Celebration on Thursday, March 12.
Drafted with pick No.2 in the 2004 national draft, Roughead was an integral member of Hawthorn’s four-time winning premiership side.
Drafted alongside former teammate and fellow champion, as well as close friend, Lance Franklin, Roughead’s ability to hit the scoreboard and stand up in moments that counted, underpinned his decorated 283-game career.
The strong-marking left-footer booted 578 career goals, becoming Hawthorn’s leading goalkicker on three separate occasions (2013, 2014 and 2017) and he was a two-time All Australian in 2013 and 2014.
He also won the Coleman Medal – as the AFL’s leading goalkicker – in 2013.
Perhaps Roughead’s greatest achievement was the courage he exhibited in battling an aggressive form of Melanoma, which saw him miss three games in 2015 and then the entire 2016 season following a recurrence.
After eight months of immunotherapy, Roughead revealed he was cancer free and he returned to play at the start of 2017 (the first of two years he captained Hawthorn) before announcing his retirement toward the end of the 2019 season.
Roughead is now at St Kilda in a wide-ranging role which includes list management, leadership and culture as well as performing a role on match-day after completing his level two coaching accreditation during his playing days.
- 283 games
- Four-time AFL premiership player (2008, 2013-15)
- Coleman Medal (2013)
- Two-time All Australian (2013-14)
- Three-time Hawthorn leading goalkicker (2013, 2014 and 2017)
- AFL Rising Star nominee (2005)
- Bachelor of Business, RMIT
- Level 2 coaching accreditation
- Diploma of Management, AIM
- Executive certificate in List Management, AFL SportsReady
- Cert III in Horticulture
- 10-day PWC work placement
- Landscape gardening apprenticeship via AFL SportsReady
- Ladder mentor
- Ambassador for Australian Clinical Trials and the campaign ‘Helping our Health’
- Ambassador The Orangutan Project
- Ambassador for Toyota
- Hawthorn Football Club captain (2017-18)
- Regular guest commentator on Gold 104 breakfast show ‘Bridge and Lehmo’
- AFL and Hawthorn Football Club life member